Pasadena Independent School District
2016-2017 Student Dress Code
The Pasadena Independent School District has established the following standardized dress code for students.
Shirts may be any color. Logos are allowed just as prints, pictures, stripes and plaids are allowed. Logos shall not reference death, sex, drugs, alcohol, gangs or weapons. Shirts shall be appropriately sized with sleeves and free of inappropriate designs which include, but are not limited to, those related to death, sex, drugs, alcohol, gangs or weapons. Shirts must remain tucked in at all times.
Pants and/or Jeans
Pants and/or jeans may be any solid color. Pants and/or jeans shall be free of design and hemmed. Pants/Jeans must meet the following additional criteria:
• All pants/jeans must be appropriately sized, fitted and worn at the waist. No hip huggers are allowed.
• All pants/jeans must be fitted in the crotch and legs, not baggy or excessively tight. Pants/jeans with hammer loops or of a cargo style are not permitted. Pockets on pants/jeans are acceptable at the waistline only.
• All pants/jeans must be of proper length and must not touch the floor.
• All pants/jeans must be free of slits.
• All pants/jeans must be one continuous solid color free of manufactured fading or bleaching.
• Pants/jeans must be free of holes or tears.
• Undergarments must not be visible through pants/jeans.
• Capri pants are permitted as long as they meet all criteria listed above.
Dresses/Skirts/Jumpers may be any color and must be hemmed. Prints, pictures, stripes and plaids are allowed. Dresses/skirts/jumpers shall be free of inappropriate designs which include, but are not limited to, those related to death, sex, drugs, alcohol, gangs or weapons. Dresses/skirts/jumpers shall be worn by female students only. Dresses/skirts/jumpers must meet the following additional criteria:
• All dresses/skirts/jumpers must be appropriately sized, not baggy or excessively tight.
• All skirts must be fitted and worn at the waist. No hip hugger skirts are allowed.
• All dresses must have sleeves.
• Manufacturer slits on dresses/jumpers/skirts can come no higher than 2 inches above the kneecap.
• All dresses/skirts/jumpers must be free of manufactured fading or bleaching.
• All dresses/skirts/jumpers must be free of holes and tears.
• The hem length of all dresses/skirts/jumpers must be no higher than 2 inches above the kneecap.
• Undergarments must not be visible through dresses/skirts/jumpers.
School Grades PK-4:
Shorts/skorts may be any solid color and shall be free of design, hemmed, appropriately sized, and the length must be no higher than 2 inches above the kneecap. Undergarments must not be visible through shorts/skorts. Denim shorts/skorts of any solid color, free of design, appropriately sized and no higher than 2 inches above the kneecap are permitted. Shorts with hammer loops or of a cargo style are not permitted. Pockets on shorts/skorts are permitted at the waistline only. Students will participate in physical education activities with the clothes they wear to school.
Coats or jackets
Coats or jackets worn by students will be placed in an area designated by the teacher upon arrival to the campus,
and the coats/jackets will remain in this area while students are in the classroom.
In addition, the following standards of student dress and grooming shall be maintained.
1. Hair must be neat, clean, well groomed, and may not have shaved designs.
2. No type of head covering, cap or hat (such as bandannas, sweatbands, etc.) may be worn on campus. No hair
rollers or long-handled combs may be worn on campus.
3. Sideburns must be kept neatly trimmed and must not extend below ear level or flare at the bottom.
4. Symbols and/or styles which are identified with gang membership or representation shall not be allowed. A list of
prohibited symbols and/or styles is posted next to the Student Code of Conduct in the principal's office. Students
are responsible for reviewing the posted list to determine prohibited symbols and/or dress styles.
5. Mustaches and beards are prohibited, and faces must be clean-shaven.
6. Shirts and blouses must be buttoned within one button of the throat.
7. Halter tops and shirts or blouses with plunging necklines are prohibited. Tanktops or undershirts worn as outer
garments are also prohibited. The midriff must not be exposed when the student goes through the normal activities
of a school day (bending, stretching etc.).
8. Articles of clothing, garments, make-up and accessories with inappropriate decorations or advertisements are
prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, any item that depicts the occult, gang membership, death, suicide,
violence, drugs or alcohol.
9. Students at elementary school campuses may not use any type of cosmetics, including, but not limited to, mascara
and artificial nails. Nail polish is acceptable.
10. Revealing or excessively tight garments are prohibited. Appropriate foundation garments and/or undergarments
must be worn.
11. Pants or shorts may not be worn in any way that reflects gang affiliation or conceals contraband.
12. Shirts and blouses shall be appropriately sized and may not be worn in any way that reflects gang affiliation or
conceals contraband. (See posted list in main campus office for gang affiliated attire.)
13. Patterned contact lenses are prohibited.
Males are not permitted to wear earrings of any type. Students are not permitted to wear other PIERCING non-traditional rings (nose, lip, etc.). Students are not allowed to wear gauges or other devices
to expand the earlobe. Clips, posts, and/or other devices designed to prevent the piercing area from closing are not permitted. Elementary students may not wear more than two earrings in each earlobe. Earrings larger than 1” in diameter or length are prohibited for elementary students.
TATTOOS All tattoos must be appropriately covered.
BADGES Student identification badges are required in high schools and may be required by intermediate schools. Badges shall be replaced at the expense of the student if the badge is lost, stolen, broken, deformed, or distorted. The campus principal will specify when and how the badge is to be displayed.
VIOLATIONS When a student's dress or grooming violates the guidelines provided herein, the principal shall request that the student make corrections and may take appropriate disciplinary action. If the problem is not corrected, the student may be assigned in-school suspension for the remainder of the day or until the problem is corrected. Repeated dress code offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action.
MEDICAL The principal, associate superintendent for campus development, or superintendent may EXCEPTIONS grant an exception to any of the above provisions if a student has a physical or medical condition
rendering compliance with the provisions detrimental to the student's physical health.
INTERPRETATION The principal and assistant principal(s) are authorized to make determinations regarding OF whether any fashion, fad, hair, jewelry or article of clothing is inappropriate for school APPROPRIATENESS wear or disruptive to the educational process or safety of the campus.
EXTRACURRICULAR The principal and the sponsor, coach, or other person in charge of an extracurricular activity
ACTIVITIES may regulate the dress and grooming of the students participating in or attending the activity.
GUIDANCE CENTER Students assigned to the Guidance Center are to follow the district-wide dress code policy as designated by the Pasadena ISD Student Code of Conduct.
Book Bags, Back Packs and Purses
Book bags and back packs may be prohibited on any secondary campus under the authority of the campus principal. The campus principal may permit clear, transparent or mesh book bags or back packs on campus provided the items are placed in the student's locker upon arrival and not removed until the conclusion of the school day. The principal may require clear or transparent back packs only. Purses in excess of 8" x 10", satchels and briefcases shall be prohibited. Purses may not be worn as backpacks.
Elementary students shall be permitted to bring back packs and book bags to school. The principal may require clear, transparent or mesh back packs only.